Thursday, April 28, 2011

Tasty Thursday ~ Honey Wheat Crescents

I just bought this cookbook after looking through it at my MIL's over Spring Break. It has a ton of amazing recipes that I would like to try. Actually 109 so fat, although I am sure I will find more. So I decided to start with something that I already had all the ingredients for. So Bread it was. I actually haven't made bread in a while so I was surprised that I had everything on hand.


Honey Wheat Crescent Rolls

1 c. warm (105-155 F ) water
2 tablespoons honey
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1. In a 2-cup measuring cup, combine the water and honey; sprinkle in the yeast and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.



2. In a food processor, combine the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, and salt. With the machine running, pour the yeast mixture through the feed tube; pulse until the dough forms a ball, about 1 minute. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead a few times until smooth.
 OR
2. To mix by hand: In a large bowel combine water honey and yeast until foamy. Stir in the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour and salt. Stir until the dough starts to form around the spoon. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 10 min.
 OR
2. In a large mixing bowl with a dough hook attachment, put both flours and salt into the bowl.


Add yeast mixture from step one and run on med-low speed until combined.


Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (2-5 min)

3. Spray a large bowel with nonstick spray; put the dough in the bowel. Cover lightly with plastic wrap.


Let the dough rise in a warm draft free place until doubled in volume, about 35 minutes.


4. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray. Punch down the dough.



Sprinkle the work surface lightly with flour. Turn the dough onto the work surface; cut in half. Roll each half into a 10 inch circle.



Cut each circle into 6 wedges.



Roll each wedge, from the wide side, and form into a crescent. Place pointed end down, on the sprayed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, arranging the rolls 1 inch apart/ cover lightly with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm, draft free place until they double in size, about 35 min.



5. Preheat oven to 375 F.



Bake the rolls until they are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped, about 15 minutes. Remove from the tray and cool on a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temp. These can be frozen and re-heated.



Nutrition information - 1 roll - 103 cal, 0 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 0 g trans fat, 0 mg chol, 292 mg sodium, 22 g carb, 2 g fiber, 3 g prot, 7 mg calc. Weight Watchers Points 2.



I pretty much made the recipe according to the directions, well, mostly. I didn't measure the honey, so I am pretty sure I got too much in. I also don't have a food processor so I used my Kitchen Aid with the Bread hook and good old fashioned kneading.

These are not buttery crescent rolls, but they are really yummy. The girls loved them and they made the house smell amazing. Enjoy!

~DD

2 comments:

  1. Those look really yummy! Can't wait for more recipes from your new cook book :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!